Thursday, September 20, 2007

TV watching

The other day, Hooman asked me about what TV shows are easiest to understand. I don't watch TV, so I told him I'd ask around. Here are some answers from other teachers around the world. I'll also add in more as they arrive, so keep checking back here.
  1. One thing you might suggest to your student is that the American networks have most of their shows on line. The student can go to any of the network websites and watch as much tv as he/she wants for free. Unfortunately, only CBS allows access from Canada.
  2. My guess is that you would have good luck with older, late 1950s or early 1960s programs in the 25-minute per episode range, for example: Peter Gunn, Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, Dragnet, Perry Mason. You can find many of these shows on DVD.

    These shows are generally well-edited, contain relatively little material that many students might find objectionable, and dialog is, as a rule, quite clearly spoken.
  3. My students here in Brazil tell me that they usually understand and enjoy watching the sitcom 'Friends'. They get a lot from facial expressions and accompanying gestures that helps them understand at least the gist if not always all the details of dialogues.

No comments: