Thursday, May 31, 2007

Model description

Communication in a Second Language

This paper describes a communication model that is focused on interpersonal communication in a second language. I researched many different kinds of communication models (Devito, 2001), and generally found that a transaction model was a very common format, so I decided to use this as a basis for my model.

Transactions models tend to be more focused on mass communication. My model, however, is interpersonal communication, so I decided to add a feedback loop/channel/arrow. This changes the model from a unidirectional model to a circular one. The direction of flow in my model is clockwise. This results in a model that has X steps and Y processes.

Here, the first step is sender (English as a second language speaker). The sender initiates the communication process by formulating their original ideas or opinions in their own language and (then) translating them to English. The second step is to encode them in English. The third step is transmitting the message to a receiver. Moreover, the model has noise (culture gaps, pronunciation differences, etc.) and feedback (gestures, verbal requests, and information checking). In other words, my model shows communication between a native speaker and an English-as-a-second-language speaker. There are many similarities between my model and other models such as encoding, message, sender, receiver, feedback and noise because it is focused on communication. My model is different from others in that it has the added function of translation from the sender.

my model is similar to a transaction model but my model considers more details and is more complete.

Add examples?

No comments: